Tuesday, February 15, 2011

So... you want to take more design classes?

Quite a few people have been saying to me. "Hey Gabe, I love this class! What should I take now that I want to know more about becoming a designer?"

Here are my general recommendations:

Required for Majors and/or Minors
You need to get the following courses under your belt ASAP:
  • Design 310: Color and Communication
  • Design 201: Descriptive and Analytic Drawing for Designers
  • Design 203: Graphic Thinking for Designers 
  • Design 205: Drawing Systems for Designers
These 200 series drawing courses have been changing their course numbers recently, so double check with the instructor that you are not taking one that you have already taken. Also, you will have to double check with Karen Dimmick, but Minors might only be required to take 201 + 203 OR 205 out of the 200 drawing courses. I'm not sure about that.

Required for Minors and electives for Majors
  • Design 570: Introduction to Image Graphics Techniques
  • Design 571: Fundamentals of 3D Design Visualization
  • Design 573: Fundamentals of Multimedia Design
Once again, double check with Karen Dimmick, this might be another section were you are only required to take two of the three, but I am not sure.

Required for Minors, but not open to Majors
  • Design 230: Basic Design Concepts for Non-majors
This course is AWESOME! I highly recommend it if you can find the time and have not yet been admitted to the Design Major. It is a lot of fun!

I hope this is helpful. Just to reiterate... I am not the official word on requirements, so run things by your advisor and Karen Dimmick. Karen is the department undergraduate advisor. She is super knowledgeable, helpful, and approachable. She loves meeting with students and is usually pretty responsive via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment